- Promoting Public Safety
- Safety Tips
- Personal Safety
- Safety Tips for Shoppers
Safety Tips for Shoppers
- Never leave packages, bags, cell phones, purses, or other valuable items inside of your car where they can be seen from the outside. There has been an increase of more than 30 percent in car burglaries this year.
- Never fight over parking spaces. It is not worth pushing the wrong person to become violent. Your car could also be vandalized as a result.
- Always park in a well-lit area and with other people around if possible. Look for landmarks and remember where you parked so you do not roam the parking lot looking for your car after shopping.
- When shopping, always try to walk with someone else. Robbers seldom confront multiple victims. Carry your purse on the opposite side of traffic when walking through a parking lot. Avoid using an ATM at night.
- Stay alert and be aware of the people around you.
- As you approach your car, have your keys in your hand so you can enter your vehicle and close and lock the door quickly.
- When loading packages or children into your car, keep an eye on purses, other bags and packages. Put your purse in the car first.
- Never buy items such as computers, jewelry, stereos, or anything from a "guy in the parking lot." These items are often stolen, sub-standard, or fake.
- Keep your purse zipped or buttoned up. Make sure that your wallet pocket is closed. Do not hang your purse on a fitting room hook. Place it on the bench where you can see it.
- Never store a purse in the child's seat of a shopping cart. Place it in the cart and keep it closed to protect your wallet.
To report a suspicious person or vehicle, call the Fountain Valley Police Department at 714-593-4485.