Water Conservation Requirements
Fountain Valley has had permanent water conservation requirements in place since 2009 to promote the efficient use of water and reduce or eliminate the waste of water in the City. These requirements are in effect at all times and additional requirements may be implemented in response to water shortages.
Please note that these permanent water conservation requirements do not apply to the use of recycled water.
- Outdoor watering is prohibited between the hours of 9 a.m. and 6 p.m., except by use of a hand-held bucket or similar container, a hand-held hose equipped with an automatic shut-off nozzle or device, or for very short periods of time for the express purpose of adjusting or repairing an irrigation system.
- Watering is limited to no more than 15 minutes per station per day.
- Outdoor watering that causes more than incidental water runoff is prohibited.
- Watering during or within 48 hours after measurable rainfall is prohibited.
- No washing down of hard or paved surfaces, including sidewalks, driveways, patios, etc., except when necessary to alleviate safety or sanitary hazards.
- All new plants should be drought tolerant.
- Leaks must be fixed within 3 days of notice.
- Fountains and decorative water features must use recirculated water.
- Washing of vehicles is prohibited, except with the use of a hand-held bucket or similar container, a hand-held hose equipped with an automatic shut-off nozzle, or at a commercial car wash.
- Swimming pools and spas shall not be emptied and refilled except to prevent or repair structural damage or to comply with public health regulations.
- The City is prohibited from watering ornamental turf on public street medians.
- Hotels/Motels must provide the option to not have towels and linens laundered daily.
- Food Service Facilities are required to use water conserving pre-rinse spray valves, serve drinking water only upon request and other miscellaneous requirements.
- For complete details and specific construction related restrictions, refer to FVMC 14.18.040.
Anyone who violates these regulations will be issued a warning for the first violation and will be subject to fines of up to $1,000 for continued violations.
Update to FVMC Chapter 14.18 Pertaining to Water Conservation
The City Council of the City of Fountain Valley approved an ordinance repealing and reenacting Chapter 14.18 of the Fountain Valley Municipal Code Pertaining to Water Conservation on June 1, 2021. The City's Water Conservation Ordinance (FVMC 14.18) is now consistent with the new requirements of the updated California Water Code Section 10632 and the City's 2020 Urban Water Management Plan and 2020 Water Shortage Contingency Plan.
FINAL DRAFT - Ordinance FVMC 14.18
- What are the City's water restrictions, and how do they apply to me?
- When did the restrictions go into effect?
- How will the water restrictions be enforced?
- How is Fountain Valley doing its part?
- What are the specific watering requirements for outdoor landscaping?
- Can I hand water between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m.?
- What does no more than 15 minutes per station per day mean?
- What if 15 minutes per station per day is too much?